Patriots suddenly find offense against the Eagles, winning 42-35 last night.
We saw everyone! Finally! We saw Brady, Revis, Edelman, Amendola, Collins, Chandla, Nink, the whole gang was out in full force. And it was a delight. Well, most of it was…
- There were flags. Lots of flags.
- Champion of last week Malcolm Butler got the start alongside Revis. First play, he forced a fumble. Then in the third, forced a fumble and recovered it. He is now on the 53 man roster.
- First team offense looked about as smooth as it could possibly look. Brady was his typical stunning self with his only blemish being a miscommunication between newly signed TE Steve Maneri. Sadly, think he’ll be getting cut soon. Brady also looked Kenbrell Thompkins way a fair amount, including a nice back shoulder touchdown pass. Good to see a connection growing there.
- Flag, flag, flag on the field
- The first defense was even better than the first O. In fact, the starters played well into the 1st and a little into the 2nd simply because they got off the field too fast to see anyone play. First drive for the Eagles, Butler and Dont’a Hightower strip Eagles receiver Ifeanyi Momah and Tommy Kelly recovers the fumble. Next drive, Ninkovich came up with a third down sack to force the Eagles to punt. Third series, Pat’s D hod Eagles to a 47 yard field goal, which Alex Henery missed. Impressive outing for this highly talked about defense.
- We saw Darrelle Revis for the first time. He wasn’t thrown to. Smart Foles.
- Jimmy Garoppolo came on ahead of Mallett in the 2nd and built upon his already impressive showing last week. He showed off his ability to scramble and threw two TDs — one to TE/FB/just the everything man James Develin and another to Brandon LaFell.
- Both Gostkowski and Allen struggled. Not a good night for special teams.
- Stevan Ridley ran well, but fumbled. Well, he was down by contact and Develin was Mr. Jonny on the spot and recovered it, but in a game were both Roy Finch and Jonas Gray looked good (not to mention Bolden and James White getting action early) you can’t be fumbling the football still.
- FLAG! More flags. And look, ANOTHER FLAG!
- Patrick Chung DESTROYED Brent Celek. I’d expect more of that in the future.
- Just hours after writing Brandon Browner might not be a lock to start, he didn’t start and played well into the 3rd quarter. Interesting…
- And finally, Ryan Mallett demonstrated that last week’s game was an anomaly and that he might actually be a half decent QB. He led the Pats on three touchdown drives including a beautiful bomb to Brian Tyms, who busted out the Randy Moss to celebrate. Looks like Jimmy with have a bit of competition. It was good to see Mallett get back into playing good football after a shitty game last week and a injury plagued week at practice.
- Oh, and the refs ruined the game by throwing a flag every other play. So drinking game for next week: drink when you see a flag.
What did you think bout Patriots second preseason game?